Monday, July 28, 2008

Chapter 2: Mekong Delta



Woke up early morning to drag my ass to the hotel reception to ask them to help us order a cake for my friend Lynn. Aparently, all cakes come in the same design and only one flavour. Decided that will have to do. Also asked that flowers be left in the room before we return from our Mekong Delta tour today. I then proceeded to have my free complimentary breakfast. After awhile, the rest came down for breafast and we all headed off to the bus that will bring us to the Mekong Delta. It was a long 2 hour plus journey, and we still needed to take a boat ride. The boat ride took forever. We finally reached the banks of the Mekong Delta and we got off to look at the coconut candy they made there. We then had lunch at the village, which was a simple maggee mee with some meat and vegetables. We then took a pony ride to one of the villages which had some people entertain us with traditional vietnamese music and song.



They served us honey which was made from a bee hive nearby, together with tea. The moment the tray of honey hit the table, the bees came. There was no way I was going to drink or even sit in the vicinity of a bunch of deadly honey bees. So off I went to carry a Phython. It was a strange feeling as the snake was moving itself across my neck and hand. At first I was a little nervous, but after awhile, I was actually starting to get the hang of having a snake around my shoulders. It was then time to head back. Reached the hotel at about 5pm, so was a bit tired. But had to get ready for dinner. From what I know, the reception called my friend and told her the flowers was coming up, so there went the surprise. Anyway, she thanked us, and we went to the Night Market near Ben Thanh Market for dinner. Ate at a seafood place and then went for some shopping there, again. While waiting for the gals to finish, I got an sms telling me that they went off for a pedicure. So I and Lionel headed back to the hotel 1st. Took the cake from reception, but realised there was no candles. One of the hotel staff actually hopped on his scooter and drove off to get some candles. So we actually managed to surprise Lynn with a small Birthday celebration. We ate the cake which was filled every which way with cream, and then headed off to a pub nearby to celebrate even more. We ate, drank local beer, played some game involving lotsa shouting and hand movement, and drank some Vodka Orange in a fish bowl. All in all, a good day. Next up, Chapter 3: Chu Chi Tunnels.

No comments: