Sunday, January 11, 2009

Exodus

Exodus means departure.
Soon, I will be going for Lasik treatment and will be departing from wearing corrective eyewear, such as glasses and contact lens. In other words, departing from being blind. It will be a departure that I will be most looking forward to.
When I told my mum, her 1st reaction was to ask me why. Why do this surgical procedure with risks that knows no bounds and untold perils. Well, apart from my understanding that the risks are low in this time and age, it is a risk I am willing to take to get back perfect vision, and have naturally good eyesight. It is an investment worth going into. I was always willing to spend on my eyes. Got 'transition like' lenses to protect my eyes from UV rays about 3 years ago. Always treasured it.
Plus, the problems with corrective eyewear such as glasses and contact lens knows no bounds as well. Everytime I jog, or do some form of physical sport, the glasses keep falling off, or the sweat wears out and erodes the frame. Wearing contact lens helps a bit, till you realise the trouble it takes to put the lens in your eye. God help us all should there be a speck of tiny dirt in your lens when you put it in your eye, the irritation that your eye incurs as well as the nice red color you get as a result, will definitly help you get out your 1st curse word of the day. Worse when you are trying to take it out, and locate it, and when it does not want to come out of your eye, and it seems stuck to your eyeball, clinging to what seems like it's dear life. Again irritation and redness of the eye sets in, as well as your second curse word of the day. It is also not very possible and feasible to swim wearing glasses or contact lens. Did I mention the savings I will be making from discontinuing buying contact lens, contact lens solution, and new glasses? Enough said.
Apart from that, I also do not wish to be a part of the glasses wearing family. My whole family wears glasses, or contact lens. Not something to be proud off. Someone needs to break the chain. And that very someone is going to be me. Starting Monday, 12th January 2009, which is the day of the surgery. If all goes well that is. But that will be a tale that I will tell after Monday. So till then, wish me all the best (= Ynnib Nai, have you any wise quotes for us?
'Perhaps our eyes need to be washed by tears once in awhile, so that we can see Life with a clearer view again.'

No comments: